Tuesday 4 March 2008

Romance reviewed: Mildred’s

Or...

Ms F enters a pie-eating competition…And wins!





You know that old adage, ‘your eyes are bigger than you stomach’? Well, my competitive nature is bigger than my stomach.

I was challenged to this contest by my vegetarian boyfriend who wanted to show me there was more to meat-free meals than falafel and rice. So off we trundled to Mildred’s where I was charged to eat a whole porcini pot pie, plus sides, starter and dessert.

Mildred’s is a hugely popular vegetarian restaurant in Soho, they don’t serve fish and they don’t do Quorn. But somehow what is essentially a mushroom and err, mushroom pie is extremely filling.

Encased in a few layers of light puff pastry, the mushrooms overflow, soaked in dark ale gravy. It’s so rich, it feels like I’m eating a Christmas pudding. Having lasciviously devoured my vegetable gyoza, this was going to be a challenge,

But not an unpleasant one, the minted mushy peas provided the perfect accompaniment to the pie and the sweet potato fries (swapped instead of standard potatoes).

Dessert is what proved most tricky, the apple and strawberry crumble was a too tarte, bordering on sour and the oaty, nutty crumble topping was certainly not going to make my challenge any easier.

Still, I finished, which was as much a credit to Mildred’s as it is to my ever-expanding stomach.

Food: 9/10
Service: 7/10
Cost: £56, for three courses, including three glasses of wine

Mildreds
Lexington Street
London, W1F 0LW

No comments: